Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Do You Remember When - Celebrity Spotlight Gavin McLeod



DO YOU REMEMBER WHEN…?

DATING BACK TO THE LATE 70’S AND EARLY 80’S, THE FAMOUS TV SITCOM THAT HIT THE AIRWAYS ON SATURDAY NIGHTS WITH THAT NOW FAMILIAR SONG THAT WE ALL KNOW SO WELL AND OFTEN CATCH OURSELVES STILL HUMMING, SINGING OR MENTIONING EVER SO OCCASIONALLY – “THE LOVE BOAT”.

 When I was just a little girl, I instantly fell in love with “The Love Boat” and its many characters, especially, the always smiling Captain Merrill Stubing, whom on every voyage assured you of a safe but interesting vacation out on the open seas sailing to famous ports of calls. I remember the many episodes of the good ole days of “The Love Boat” and my first love for cruising.  Back then, I did not know that “The Love Boat” had its first love, and that would be Princess Cruise Lines.  “The Love Boat” named for the show was also known as the Pacific Princess.  The new Pacific Princess takes over the name of the famed “Love Boat” today.

When Kerry and I were attending the Winter Cruise-A-Thon Conference, I took a quick glimpse and discovered a familiar face that I couldn’t quite put a finger on, but yes, a famous Celebrity!  It did not take long before both Kerry and I realized just who this famous face was – his bright smile gave it away!  It was Gavin MacLeod, “Captain Stubing” of “The Love Boat”!

You may also remember Gavin MacLeod by his many other appearances in TV sitcoms such as McHales Navy, The Andy Griffith Show and The Mary Tyler Moore Show – just to name a few of my favorites.

Kerry and I joined the many other fans waiting anxiously in line to catch a moment with the famous “Captain Merrill Stubing”.  Now for the first time face to face with Gavin MacLeod with his famous bright smile; he graciously signed and autographed a picture of himself and “The Love Boat” - I was so excited!  Then he stood up to take a picture with Kerry and me. I did not know what to do with myself, I was so nervous.  With his gentle and calm voice he assured us both that everything was just fine.



We later had an opportunity to visit with Gavin at a Princess Cruises Commodores Party honoring their Travel Agent graduates that evening – Congratulations Kerry!  Gavin did not take long before he was over greeting us and giving us a great big hug as if he had known us for years.


For every cruise ship that I embark upon, it will always be Captain Stubing’s great big smile that I remember.

Happy memories Captain Merrill Stubing and we look forward to seeing you again on the open seas Commodore Gavin MacLeod.

By Nancylee Stange, Xpertise Cruise Travel

No comments:

Post a Comment